HISTORY OF EARTHQUAKE MONITORING AT SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY

The People and The Instruments

History of the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences


1909 Wiechert installed at Saint Louis University.
1925 Department of Geophysics founded.
1926 Galitzin-Wilip instruments installed at Florissant, Missouri.
1927 Wood-Anderson seismographs installed at Saint Louis University Gymnasium.
1930 Seismographs installed at Saint John's Seminary, Pulaski Heights, Little Rock, Arkansas.
1938 Seismographs installed at Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
1961 Instruments installed at Rolla, Missouri, Manhattan, Kansas, Dubuque, Iowa and Bloomington, Indiana as part of U.S. Air Force's Vela Uniform Research on nuclear explosions.
1974 Regional Seismic Network installed to monitor New Madrid and Wabash Valley (Illinois) Earthquakes. Grows to 50 stations by 1985.
1990 Modern broadband digital seismographs installed as part of BILLIKEN NETWORK.
1997 COOPERATIVE NEW MADRID SEISMIC NETWORK established. (Saint Louis University and University of Memphis) Network consists of 14 broadband digital instruments and 90 3-component analog systems.