"Southwest corner of Hudson and King Streets (?), Charleston, looking N.N.E." Not all the so-called "Earthquake bolts" were installed after the Charleston earthquake of 1886. Observe the brickwork above the pharmacy sign on this
particular house for the three "earthquake bolts" or gib plates (the outer washers and nuts of strengthening rods which are inserted through the structure). Such "earthquake bolts" were fairly common in South
Carolina's port city at the time of the earthquake; however, they were more apt to safeguard buildings from the high winds and the driving rains of gales and hurricanes than to protect structures from the rendings and wrenchings of earthquakes.
(South Caroliniana Library Archives)