"No. 5 Engine House." This particular photo in No. 35 of "George L. Cook's Earthquake Views of Charleston and Vicinity." Sloan has written "No. 9 - Facing N. 86E". Note the "earthquake bolt" (the "x" on the building next to the engine house).
Many persons are of the opinion that all such "bolts" (gib plates) were installed after the great earthquake, which is generally true, however, many predate the 1886 earthquake, being installed to shore-up buildings against the danger of hurricanes.
(South Caroliniana Library Archives)